Previous Videos in this Series:

This video explains how to Apply for a Federal ID Number (EIN) for your Missouri Not-for-Profit Organization.

You should have your paper work filled out and submitted with the Missouri Secretary of State.

Now you are ready to apply for your Federal ID Number (EIN) with the IRS.

Watch the video below to learn how, or follow the step by step instructions beneath the video.

NEXT: After you watch the below video, move on to Video 5: To determine if you are eligible to file the IRS form 1023-EZ.

  1. Go to IRS.GOV
  2. In the search box – type need EIN
  3. We get a screen that is asking IF you need and EIN and has several steps to go through
  4. You do need an EIN so we are going scroll down to
  5. Apply for an EIN online
  6. Click on the link.
    1. You will be the responsible party,
    2. unless you hire and attorney or CPA to do this for you, like T. Benus Associates.
  7. Click the APPLY ONLINE NOW box
  8. Click ok
  9. Click Begin Application
  10. This is where you need to be cautious: You are wanting to be a 501c3 – Nonprofit; as you see that is not an option on this screen.
  11. You want the last option – View Additional types
  12. Click Continue
  13. Now we need to click the OTHER NON PROFIT/Tax Exempt Organization
  14. Click Continue
  15. This screen gives you time/info to make sure you have selected the correct options
  16. As long as you have selected the correct options – click Continue
  17. Now we have to let the IRS know why we want/need and EIN
  18. In our case for today – we are selecting Started a New business
  19. Click Continue
  20. This screen is where you enter your personal information
  21. Then you will select “I am the responsible and duly authorized member/officer I am not going to fill in my SS#”
  22. Once you get past this screen, you will enter the legal name of your Nonprofit AS IT IS FILED with MO SEC. of STATE. Follow the questions
  23. You will be given the opportunity to review the application before you submit it — once you submit — it will take a couple minutes
  24. You will be given the option to have the IRS mail you a letter with your EIN or you can receive it “today” as a PDf – I always recommend writing down the EIN as soon as it pops onto the screen; then print the PDF letter. You will need this to open your bank account.
  25. If you hire an attorney or CPA, they will select the 3rd party option.

As always, If you need any assistance with the process, do not hesitate to contact us!

We are here at T Benus Associates LLC is here to assist you in reaching your goal.

Contact Tami: or Phone: (573) 607-3290